In 2017 the Rotary Club of Winnipeg took on the task of “Greening RIBFEST” with recycling of beverage containers and cardboard, collection and composting of organic waste (food, bones, paper waste), bicycling to the event (bike corral provide), recycling of cooking grease.
Look at what we accomplished through our Waste Sorting for 10,000 Ribfest visitors…thanks to volunteers from our benefactors at the NYESS and CanU youth organizations we were able to:
- 14 cubic yards of cardboard and beverage containers diverted to recycling…thanks to Green for Life Inc. and Recycle Everywhere
- 2,680 beer cans collected and recycled…thanks to Farmery Estate Brewery
- 225 gallons of cooking grease collected for recycling…thanks to Greaseman Jack
- 12 cubic yards of food waste and compostable food containers diverted to compost…thanks to The Forks Market and our Ribbers – Crabby’s BBQ Shack, Texas Rangers and Silver Bullet BBQ.
- 113 bicyclists using the bike corral…thanks to Bicycle Valet Winnipeg
In 2018 we will continue to improve the “Greening of RIBFEST” in our commitment to producing and environmentally friendly event.